Engine 1 was organized March 15, 1871 in the quarters formerly occupied by Delaware Engine Company 4 on South Street below 18th Street. Rent for the station was $625.00 for 1871.
The original company roster was as follows:
Foreman James Patterson
Engineer Samuel Pritchard
Driver William Carberry
Fireman Andrew Auld
Hoseman John Winring
Hoseman Henry Conrad
Hoseman Eugene Smith
Hoseman Jule F. Cure
Hoseman John E. Murphy
Hoseman George McFetridge
Hoseman John Budd
Hoseman John Laird
Mrs. Lawther was the company matron.
The company was assigned an 1859 Reaney & Neafie first size steamer. The steamer was purchased for the princely sum of $2500 from the Delaware Engine Company. It became a spare in 1873.
During 1888 the station was rebuilt and enlarged. On December 15, 1964 Engine 1 moved to a new station at 711 S. Broad Street. Ladder 5 moved into the new station the same day from their single ladder house at 752 S. 16th Street. Engine 1 was placed out of service on May 25, 1994 for asbestos removal from the station. They were placed back in service on June 18, 1994.
Engine 1 was one of seven companies disbanded on January 5, 2009 because “they were no longer needed”. Engine one was one of the four companies that was re-opened on November 23, 2019. They were assigned a 2004 American LaFrance pumper that had previously served with Engine 44 and more recently as a reservice as Engine 116. Welcome back Engine 1.