Engine 66 was organized March 1, 1927 at Eva and Dearnley Streets in the Roxborough section of the city. The building housing the company was a schoolhouse that was converted to a firehouse. The company was one of four engines organized during 1927 and 1928 with a hose and chemical wagon only. In the event they had a fire requiring a hose line larger than a chemical line, these companies would place a hydrant stream in service. The intent was to purchase engine apparatus for these companies during 1929. Unfortunately, the Great Depression delayed those purchases. Engine 66 was assigned a 1923 American LaFrance 900 GPM pumper during 1932. During 1951 Engine 66 moved to a new firehouse at Ridge and Shawmont Avenues where they continue to serve the Roxborough neighborhood.
About the Author: Jack Wright
Jack Wright is a lifelong resident of Philadelphia, PA. Since very early in his life he has been fascinated with fire engines in general and those of the Philadelphia Fire Department in particular. He has been chasing them his entire life. From his early days of grammar school, he has vivid memories of Engine 53 and Ladder 27 responding to alarms in his South Philadelphia neighborhood. Those scenes made an indelible impression on him. It was at this time that he began collecting photographs relating to the Philadelphia Fire Department. With his interest in the Philadelphia Fire Department and its history, it was only natural that he found himself at the Fireman’s Hall Museum. In May of 1988 he began volunteering there and has been doing so ever since. While working there he has been involved in researching the department’s history, as well as documenting it. Some of his research has been used by the Philadelphia Fire Department to evaluate their operations and procedures and make changes where necessary. On October 14, 2007 Jack was named the official Philadelphia Fire Department Historian by Fire Commissioner Lloyd Ayers. At the present time, Jack serves on the Board of Directors of Fireman’s Hall. He is also a contributing editor for Fire Apparatus Journal. Jack was a co-author for Hike Out, the only written history of the Philadelphia Fire department ever published. In addition, he published Philadelphia Fire Apparatus Volume 4. He has written a number of articles relating to the department’s history that have been published in various magazines and newsletters and posts a history blog on the internet. Jack also provides presentations to various historical societies in the Philadelphia area regarding the Philadelphia Fire Department.